Pages

Monday, February 28, 2011

Another Rainy Day

Fogg Dam Conservation Reserve which is one of ...Image via WikipediaSince I live in one of the rainiest cities in the United States, I've come to expect random rainstorms. I even think that I can feel them in my bones. It helps that I have arthritis and my joints get all sticky when the weather changes. Yes, arthritis does have its uses. Aren't you jealous?

Also, I'm like a portable weather vane. My hair tells me which way the wind is blowing. In my face, away from my face, up, sideways, or my personal favorite, the mini-cyclone.

The wind is like my own personal hairstylist. I think that I have a perfectly good hairstyle going, but obviously, I'm horribly wrong and the wind will fix it for me, thus saving me from my former hair catastrophe. Isn't that sweet?

As to the rain, I have learned to carry an umbrella with me at all times, regardless of the actual forecast. Those weather people are wrong about 50 percent of the time, and I've gotten soaked enough on a supposedly sunny day to know better.

Take today for example. It was forecast to be a 70 percent chance of rain, so the odds are against it being dry today, but when I left my room this morning, there was barely a cloud in the sky. I wasn't fooled though. I knew those storm clouds were only playing hide-and-seek with me without telling me, so I lugged around my ginormous black umbrella to class. It didn't rain. Crisis averted.

Then, I decided that I would have lunch after all, and went for my leisurely walk to the dining hall only 100 yards from my room. The trip took only about 20 minutes, but by the time I had scavenged up a meal and some coffee, the sky was dark and pouring like the flood.

I heaved a large sigh, scrounged around in my recycled-plastic (waterproof!) purse and found my spare umbrella. It's a tiny lime green thing and it barely covers my head. I mainly carry it as a token against rain, but today it decided to take the day off or something. I still don't know how I managed to carry my food, the large white chocolate mocha, and maintain the umbrella over my head in the whipping rain and wind, but 100 wet yards later, I was locked back in my room.

How's that for survival? Yes, I know I'm beast at thwarting the weather. But someone has to do it.

Until next time...stay dry and carry a big umbrella!
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. Haha, Bailey! At least you're used to it. I'm not sure I'd like getting my hair styled as much as you do.

    YOu should come to Canada: I'm forecasting snow for the next few weeks. Wouldn't a bit of weather-stability work wonders on you?

    ReplyDelete

I used to ask for proper grammar and such in comments. Now that I'm older, I realize it's still important, but that not everyone likes following the rules or even remembers the rules. Instead, let's just be kind.