Pages

Friday, September 30, 2011

Friday Fives: Banned Books


1. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
(Actually, the entire series. But I'm just listing it once.) I LOVE these books. Absolutely, one hundred percent, cannot live without them in my life. I know y'all probably hear this all the time from other fans, but my life would not have been the same without Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, and Hermione Granger to keep me company, along with all of the other memorable characters within the wizarding world.







2. The Hunger Games
Fabulously frightening. The first time I read it, I found myself forgetting to breath in places along the story because it just felt so real.







3. Brave New World
What's not to love? I can see how this book could freak people out, but it doesn't give them the right to "ban" it. Heck, it freaked me out, but I didn't stop reading it. You have to be willing to see everything in order to make your own decisions; other people can't make those for you.















4. The Call of the Wild
This book, and other London stories, instilled in me a fierce love of nature and the elements. The natural world is unforgiving and primitive, but capable of great beauty and enlightenment. London captures those qualities perfectly, and it amazes me that someone could object to such wonderful prose and exploration of humanity.




5. The Lord of the Rings
I often talk about how much I love LOTR, and I do, I really do, but I think that the thing I love the most is J.R.R. Tolkien's attention to detail and language. His other books and poems (I'm currently trying to digest The Silmarillion) show just how much he cared about getting things right, no matter how many words he had to use to do it. Some people find his works to be tedious, but I derive a sense of immense pleasure from reading his densely explained works.

5 comments:

  1. OK, so I have Call of the Wild, but never read it. I remember my Dad saying it was a good book. Add that to the must-read list. And Brave New World... one of those books I ought to read. Darn it! My WIP will never get written at this rate!! Never mind, hopefully I'll be a better writer for it... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's one of the hazards of being us, I suppose; we're always finding something new to read and distract us from what we should be doing. But I highly suggest you read both of those. They're not very long--BNW is actually a very fast read--and they're well worth it. Definitely food for thought in any case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great list- I picked some of the same. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of those are on my list!

    I'm still in shock after looking at all the ones that are banned.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's certainly shocking whenever we witness the intolerance of others.

    ReplyDelete

I used to ask for proper grammar and such in comments. Now that I'm older, I realize it's still important, but that not everyone likes following the rules or even remembers the rules. Instead, let's just be kind.