Pages

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Saturday Scenes

As some of you may know, I am a college student and also the Life editor for my campus paper, The Vanguard. So, now that you're all up to speed, I can tell y'all about my morning working in the scene shop of the theatre department.

First of all, I would like to say that I am not a theatre major and there is a very good reason for that. Audiences make me laugh. I could just see myself trying to give a serious monologue and out of the corner of my eye catching a glimpse of the audience and then subsequently breaking down into hysterical laughter. I could probably act if I were allowed to wear a blindfold or played a pirate with two eye patches.

Anyway, as a journalist, I made the bright decision to write a series of articles about the theatre department, more specifically about the people behind the scenes. I didn't know what I was getting myself into. These people are crazy, but in the best way possible.

I did something like this. (Only smaller and...less grand.)
Normally I'm the most outgoing person within a 200 foot radius at any time. Not so this morning. I walked into the conference room where we were all gathering before beginning the work day, and found myself sucked into a mire of laughter, jokes, yells, jests, and stories that swept me forward and sat me roughly (though kindly) on a seat where I stared in rapt attention at the sheer force of what I was witnessing.

These people were so intense and close-knit that I wondered at first if I would fit in, but that too faded. I found myself welcomed heartily and learning to "scumble" a set wall. I painted limestone! (I also got paint in my hair that I don't think will come out!)

Despite the fun, I was basically useless to them. I did manage to act as the head painter's "personal assistant" which meant he stayed on the ladder, he'd hand me his paint brush, and I would dip it in the paint he needed. (Hi, Mid, or Low.) I think he appreciated it since he was on a sixteen foot ladder and coming up and down was tiring.

In just three hours, we managed to paint the entire set in shades of taupy-pink. By the time I left to go to my other job, I was in love with the entire cast of characters working with me and I felt accomplished, even though I only performed a small task.

I was going to include the pictures that I took during the work day, and they would have shown the progress from a blank set to a painted set, but alas, I left my camera at The Vanguard office where it belongs. Maybe I'll come back and add some.

Until next time...have a scumbling great weekend!
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

I used to ask for proper grammar and such in comments. Now that I'm older, I realize it's still important, but that not everyone likes following the rules or even remembers the rules. Instead, let's just be kind.