Pages

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

RTW: They Can't Live without the Tunes


Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.

This week's YA Highway Road Trip Wednesday prompt is:
If your WIP or favorite book were music, what song(s) would it be?

People ask me all the time what kind of music I listen to. I don't know why they want to know, but somehow my answers never seem to be consistent. One day, I'll be in a country mood and rocking out to Taylor Swift. Don't judge me; that girl can belt out her heart like nobody's business. Have you even heard Haunted?

Other days, like today, I'm more in the mood for soundtracks. The one on repeat on my iPod at the moment is Deathly Hallows part uno. It's so beautiful.

As for my WIP's, well...they're pretty much the same way. I tried to make playlists for them, but they kept changing. I don't know if that's a bad omen or something good. I hope it's good. For the most part though, I have noticed that I tend to follow a pattern songchoice-wise.

For one of my WIP's, which shall be left unnamed at the moment, the actual story idea sprang from one song by 30 Seconds to Mars. Night of the Hunter. It's spooky and compelling and I was suddenly struck with the image of someone who was cursed yet felt responsible for the world. Someone as old as time, but vulnerable to her own thoughts. Someone created out of an evil purpose, but rebelling against her creator. Someone...someone who hunted the night.

The story arc itself follows the MC as she struggles to maintain a semblance of who she wants to be as she fights demons both external and internal. At times, because I felt a need to lighten the story up, humor surfaces and a song like Beautiful Disaster by Jon McLaughlin make things seem less dark. Although that song isn't too overly positive now that I think about it. It's the tone I think. Oh well. I don't think I could lighten the story up anyway, haha!

The romance involved in the WIP is part Beautiful Disaster and Assassin by John Mayer. Although, Assassin is more the song the male MC embodies. Actually, they're pretty much both Assassins of each other. It's a strange dynamic. As it's supposed to be.

Other WIP's have less dark soundtracks. Man, this is a long response. I need to end it before I list all of the songs I've ever listened to while writing. That would take years.

Anywho, what songs do you think about or listen to when you write? Or read? Anything in particular, or are you a song whore like me?

4 comments:

  1. Intense, you're right!

    I can't listen to music when I write, or when I read – the experiences are to exclusively immersive. However, I do listen to MPR's The Current (radio, streaming online) when I grade. Which probably isn't a good thing, but otherwise I would just be depressed.

    My songs end up being character-based, like yours seem to be; whenever I try to go for overall tone or story, I get lost. And disinterested – I'd rather just write the damn thing, after all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Taylor Swift! And HAUNTED is one of my fav songs on her new album (although BETTER THAN REVENGE is pretty awesome, too!). Also, I've never thought to pick up an HP soundtrack, but I may just do that now! I've always loved the TITANIC soundtrack, but never bought another one since. That will have to change!

    ReplyDelete

I used to ask for proper grammar and such in comments. Now that I'm older, I realize it's still important, but that not everyone likes following the rules or even remembers the rules. Instead, let's just be kind.