Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Thank You, LZ Granderson. You're My Hero.

As a member of the retail sales industry, I have to deal with a lot of crappy stuff. Unloading tons of clothes that I want to buy but can't afford to (but I buy anyway), horrible hours and short breaks, and the list goes on. However, I've come to discover that the worst part of being a semi-public servant is dealing with the people. Customer service, something I used to think I was awesome at, has become torture.

Why?

Johnny, please stop screaming. We're trying to watch American Idol.
People, and to be more specific, children, are brats. But really, are any of you that shocked? I shouldn't think so. But every day when I go into work, I have to remind myself that I have to be nice to these kids because their parents are going to buy them stuff. Of course, then I get bitter about it as the day goes on because the parents buy those brats stuff when they should be spanking the crap out of them.

Hey, it's not just me, folks, that thinks this way. You all think it at some point. Kids are out of control these days. When I was growing up, if I even looked like I was going to throw a tantrum near somewhere public, you can bet I was going to get a butt whooping when I got home. I learned my lesson early in life to be respectful of adults and act like an angel in public. My parents got so many compliments from strangers as a result of my and my sibling's good behavior when we went places. Reason: we were disciplined and we aren't "emotionally disturbed or conflicted" as a result of it. We turned out great. In fact, if kids aren't disciplined properly, I figure they're going to be the ones who are messed up. How do they know right from wrong if someone doesn't teach them and show them there are consequences?

I found this article by CNN contributing writer, LZ Granderson, about this very topic today, and it made me feel good about myself. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but sometimes I wish I could  just make those parents who don't discipline their kids see how much harm they are actually causing them in the long run.

Also, as a future teacher, I don't want to have to deal with students who don't know how to behave. So parents, please don't be selfish. Spank your kids. They deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I used to ask for proper grammar and such in comments. Now that I'm older, I realize it's still important, but that not everyone likes following the rules or even remembers the rules. Instead, let's just be kind.