Pages

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Time for an Inheritance. (Possibly Spoilers)



“The burning questions asked by fans around the world will finally be answered in this last installment,” said Christopher Paolini. “All will be revealed!”

Finally. Paolini has teased the literary world with his trilogy that soon transformed into a quartet for almost a decade. According to the official Random House press release, “Now, both new readers and established fans can enjoy the full story without interruption for the very first time.” That was straight from the mouth of Nancy Hinkel, Vice President, Publishing Director of Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers.

Yes. At last we can read the series and not have to wait years for the next book to come out and suffer not knowing how long it will take. Thank you Random House. I'm so relieved.

I remember when I first read ERAGON. I thought it was awesome. I waited fairly patiently for ELDEST. I was still firmly in the Harry Potter waiting mindset though, so I wasn't too bothered by how long it took for ELDEST to be released. I was too busy freaking out about what would happen to my favorite wizards next.

BRISINGR came along and Eragon finally fulfilled a promise or two and I was relieved because I was beginning to think I was wasting my time reading about Eragon's life. I was sick of hearing him complain and do things wrong, but I continued to love Saphira. She's been the thread that's kept me reading.

The little love story that may-or-may not happen between the frustrating and frustrated Eragon and the definitely out of his league Arya made me groan in dismay when NOTHING happened. But at least he didn't have that nasty scar anymore right? And he found out that he wasn't the son of Darth Vader. Wait...wrong story. He wasn't the son of Morzan, my bad.

Am I the only one who just wants something to happen in INHERITANCE? I'd just love for Paolini to resolve all of those prophecies, kill Galbatorix, and send Eragon on his little way out of Alagaesia and across the sea.

Please.

Now this is not to say that I'm not looking forward to Novemeber 8th. But please, Paolini, have mercy on me. It's been almost ten years. Let's end this merry-go-round of a series, shall we?

Anyway, I won't do any more spoilers, but if you haven't read the series, just wait until November so you don't have to suffer like the rest of us.

Despite my angst and anxiety, once again, I am impressed with John Jude Palencar's artwork. The covers for each of the books are beautiful and I'm not ashamed to admit that was part of the reason I picked ERAGON up in the first place all those years ago. Although, is it just me or does the green dragon look suspiciously like Saphira? For a minute I just thought it was Saphira flipped around and colored green. But there are some subtle differences, and I can definitely see how the green dragon is portrayed more as a "nice" dragon than Thorn, the red dragon of Murtagh.

Okay, well that's all I have to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I used to ask for proper grammar and such in comments. Now that I'm older, I realize it's still important, but that not everyone likes following the rules or even remembers the rules. Instead, let's just be kind.